|Department||Pathologie & Medische Biologie|
|Apply no later than||30 September 2021|
The technician will be working within the departments of Pulmonology as well as in the department of Pathology & Medical Biology (PMB) of the University Medical Center Groningen. According to the World Health Organization, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is the third leading cause of death. To date, no curative treatment options are available for COPD patients, and all treatment are focused on increasing the quality of life. A recent new advancement in the treatment of COPD patients is the implantation of small one-way valves in the airways of COPD patients to release trapped air from the affected lung regions which increases the functionality of healthy lung regions. While the treatment with valves has been proven very affective for COPD patients, the effects can be short-lived due to the development of immune responses directed at the device, leading to formation of granulation and scar tissue around the valves, reducing its effect.
The technician will perform a research project investigating the effect of the material of the implantable device on structural lung cells with the goal to identify the material properties leading to the development of granulation tissue around lung implantable devices. Within this project the technician will work with a wide range of lab techniques, including (primary) cell culture, (confocal) microscopy, flow cytometry, qRT-PCR, western blot, ELISA and siRNA.
Secondly, the technician will be responsible for collecting, processing, storing and managing clinical samples collected from COPD patients.
We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic technician who has a research-oriented mind, being able to independently set-up and perform experiments. Additionally, the technician will work in close collaboration with students, researchers and pulmonary physicians. In addition, the candidate should be willing to pro-actively participate in general lab management tasks, such as associated with ISO-regulatory matters and to collaborate closely with the clinic.
What do we need
- HBO (University of Applied Sciences) or higher level of education (preferably biomedical).
- You can work independently but you are also a team player.
- You have affinity for fundamental and translational research.
- You are highly motivated, self-confident and pro-active.
- You are enthusiastic and curious about experimental research.
- You are aware of requirements for working within a confidential research collaboration.
- You have expertise with tissue culture, preferably primary human lung cell culture models and you have a VMT certificate.
- You have experience with immunological and cell and molecular biological techniques such as RNA isolation, qPCR, FACS, ELISA, immunohistochemistry.
- You have excellent organizational, communication and interaction skills.
- Command of the English language in spoken and written word is mandatory.
The UMCG has a preventive Hepatitis B policy. The UMCG can provide you with the vaccination, should it be required for your position.
What do we offer
We offer a 1 year position for 1 fte (36 hours a week), with the possibility to extend to 3 years. Your salary will be a maximum of € 3.280,- gross per month (scale 7), depending on your qualifications and relevant experience, based on a full-time appointment. In addition, the UMCG will offer you 8% holiday pay, and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. The conditions of employment comply with the Collective Labour Agreement for Medical Centres (CAO-UMC).
Experimental Pulmonology and Inflammation Research (Expire)
Groningen Research Institute for Asthma and COPD (GRIAC)
For more information about this vacancy you may contact:
- Dr. Simon D. Pouwels, e-mail address
- Prof. Dr. Dirk-Jan Slebos, e-mail address
Applying for a job
Please use the the digital application form at the bottom of this page - only these will be processed. You can apply until 30 September 2021.
Within half an hour after sending the digital application form you will receive an email- confirmation with further information.