There are various parking areas for bicycles, cargo bikes, mopeds, mountain bikes and motorcycles all over the UMCG grounds.
There is plenty of room for everyone who wants to take their bike or motorbike to the UMCG.
Where do I find the sheds?
Please click on the interactive map above (click on the image) for an overview of all available bicycle parking areas. This map also indicates for each parking area whether it is covered, and whether it is freely accessible or only with a pass or code. Staff members can collect the code to a bicycle shed from the Security Room in the central entrance hall on presentation of a valid personnel pass.
Here are a few rules that users are expected to follow in order to keep the parking areas safe and accessible.
Rule 1: Park your bicycle in the designated areas.
Bicycles parked outside racks cause nuisance to other users as well as safety risks. The UMCG regards such bicycles as 'incorrectly parked' and may move them, as is also indicated in the UMCG house rules that are posted near each entrance to the grounds.
What will the parking attendant do?
If your bicycle is incorrectly parked and poses a threat, it will be immediately moved by an UMCG parking attendant. He or she will attach a label stating the current date to your incorrectly parked bicycle, which you should regard as a warning. If your bike is found in the same place at the next inspection, it will be transferred to a special depot on the UMCG grounds. Your bike's details will be registered. Please check the 'Lost your bike?' section below to see how you can get your bike back. Any bicycles that are not collected will be destroyed or given away by the UMCG.
Rule 2: Park your motorcycle in the designated areas.
The standard traffic rules apply on the UMCG grounds. This rule is also stated in the UMCG house rules posted around the grounds. Parking your motorcycle on the pavement is therefore not allowed.
What will the parking attendant do
Incorrectly parked motorcycles may be clamped by the UMCG parking attendant, who can also remove the wheel clamp for you. Please check the 'Motorbike clamped?' section below to see what you should do to have a wheel clamp removed.
Rule 3: Do not leave your bicycle for prolonged periods.
Bicycles that are parked for long periods of time, 'orphan bikes' and bike wrecks take up unnecessary space in the bicycle racks – this is not what the UMCG bicycle parking areas are intended for. If your bicycle is detected 24 hours a day in the same place for a prolonged period, the UMCG will assume that you no longer need it.
What will the parking attendant do?
If your bicycle is considered to be an 'orphan bike' or bike wreck, the UMCG parking attendant will attach a label stating the current date to it, which you should regard as a warning. If your bike is found in the same place at the next inspection, it will be transferred to a special depot. Your bike's details will be registered. Please check the 'Lost your bike?' section below to see how you can get your bike back. Any bicycles that are not collected will be destroyed or given away by the UMCG.
Lost your bike?
- Your bicycle may have been moved to a rack in a bicycle shed (see Rule 1). If this is the case, it will have a label stating a date attached to it, with an explanation of what happened.
- The UMCG may have moved your bicycle to the depot (Rule 3). You can collect it there on working days between 4.30 and 5.30 p.m. on filling in a direct-debit mandate form for payment of EUR 15. The information desk staff will be able to tell you exactly where the depot is.
- Your bicycle may also have been stolen. In this case you should report this to the police, stating 'Hanzeplein 1' as the address where the theft took place.
Please report to the Security Room in the central entrance hall, near the main entrance. A EUR 50 fee will be charged for removing a wheel clamp. This fee can be paid by filling in a direct debit mandate form. The wheel clamp will then be removed.
Supervised bicycle shed
There is a public bicycle cellar underneath the main building, on the Petrus Campersingel side, where patients, visitors and staff of the UMCG can park their bikes. There is also plenty of room to keep motorbikes, scooters and mopeds dry and safe.
Supervised bicycle shed: fee
- The parking fee for patients and visitors is the same as for all supervised bicycles sheds in the city. The 'pas+' is also valid here.
- Staff members can collect a token to attach to their bicycle or motorbike on payment of a EUR 2.30 deposit, which, in combination with a valid UMCG pass, functions as a parking permit. Tokens can be collected from the bicycle parking staff.