The required application documents with specific information on the motivation letter
The applications should comprise:
Document 1: Curriculum Vitae containing:
- Curriculum Vitae (including your personal details like name, address etc.)
- Copy of your Master certificate
- Copy/transcript(s) of your grades (please include Bachelor and Master grades)
- Motivation letter, specifying your interest and suitability for both the PhD positions and the PROMINENT joint research program as well as your career ambitions.
- Summary of your research experience including details of the master research project, educational and employment history and a list of publications (if applicable) (max. 1 A4).
- Proficiency in English: copy/transcript of your TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge test score
Please merge all documents into a single PDF file.
Document 2: a completed form containing
- Information required during the recruitment procedure
- Your preference for one or two of the offered projects
The time schedule following the application
Download (pdf | 291 kB)
The selection and recruitment procedure
Eligibility criteria and application requirements
Who can apply:
- The most important criteria are enthusiasm, excellence, commitment to research and team spirit. Candidates can freely choose from the 16 available projects during the selection process, but are requested to apply for one interests of candidates.
- Educational background preferably in the area of natural and medical sciences, such as (bio)chemistry, molecular (micro)biology, biotechnology, synthetic biology, applied physics, nanoscience, (bio)medical sciences, pharmacy or combinations thereof.
- Candidates need to have completed a European master’s degree or equivalent prior to the application deadline. Candidates have to be in their first four years of their research career and not yet be awarded with a doctoral degree. Specific expertise can be a plus, but methods can always be learned and projects can be tailored to the specific skills and at the time of recruitment.
- Excellent proficiency in English language.
- Open for all nationalities. In compliance with the EU mobility rule, at the time of deadline, candidates shall not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies) in the Netherlands for more than 12 months in the 3 years prior to the application deadline.
- Only applications that are complete, in English and submitted before the deadline will be considered eligible.
PROMINENT is focused on attracting excellent ESR candidates from all over Europe and beyond. Eligible candidates have to be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and not yet be awarded with a doctoral degree at the time of recruitment. Furthermore, at the time of the deadline for submission of applications all candidates must be in possession of a European Master’s degree or equivalent. Their educational background should preferably be in the Medical Sciences or Mathematics and Natural Sciences area, such as biomedical sciences, pharmaceutical sciences, molecular (micro)biology, (bio)chemistry, biotechnology, or combinations thereof. ESRs can freely choose from one of the 16 available projects, but in their application they have to apply for one specific project that suits their interests and background.
An application is only considered eligible if it meets all of the following conditions:
- It is received before the deadline given in the call text;
- It is complete (i.e. all requested documents are present);
- The candidate possesses an European Master degree or equivalent at the time of the application deadline;
- The candidate has an excellent proficiency of the Englisch language (according to the TOEFL test);
- Mobility: at the time of the deadline for submission of applications, researches must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the Netherlands for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the reference date. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
Evaluation/selection criteria and scores for each criterion
Selection of ESRs conforms to ‘The Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (2005)’ via central coordination by the SC to ensure open, transparent and internationally comparable selection and recruitment procedures. There will be no discrimination on the basis of gender, age, ethnic, national or social origin. Applications are assessed against criteria addressing the candidate’s research background, the synergy between the candidate’s background, his/her motivation and the research group of interest, and the impact on the candidate’s career advancement. Each candidate’s merits will be judged quantitatively as well as qualitatively. The qualifications needed for enrolling in PROMINENT are high, since the programme aims to only select excellent, highly talented young scientists. Scoring and thresholds criteria are listed below the scale interpretation of marks is listed below. All candidates are scored by the SC members and external advisors based on these criteria, leading to a final ranking of the candidates for each position. To ensure fair treatment of the applications, it is crucial that the various experts interpret the scale of marks in as similar a fashion as possible.
Weight (in %)|
|1. Educational background: MSc curriculum fit with the chosen research group||3.5||30|
|2. Motivation for participation: Why the position suits the candidate; eagerness to study subject; career ambition||3.5||40|
|3. English Language Proficiency, creativity, level of independence||3.5||20|
|4. Extra: previous mobility, teaching experience, publication record, achieved prizes, awards, funding||N/A||10|
|Outstanding||All relevant aspects of the criteria under evaluation are successfully addressed.||5|
|Excellent||All relevant aspects of the criteria under evaluation are successfully addressed, minor shortcomings.||4|
|Very good||The criteria under evaluation are very well addressed, although some improvements are possible.||3|
|Good||The criteria under evaluation are well addressed, although some improvements are neccessary.||2|
|Fair||The criteria under evaluation are broadly addressed, significant weaknesses are detected||1|
|Poor||The criteria under evaluation are not addressed.||0|
Contact persons for extra information
General information: contact Peter Braun, Project Manager PROMINENT PhD Programme,
(please do not use this mail address for submitting your application)